Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Hope I Know What I'll Do This Summer

The last 15 days have been life-changing for me. I can't say whether it made me any better or worse, but well, life has, you know, changed.

After a long and arduous wait, ISB has finally offered me admission into their 2009-'10 batch and I didn't spare an hour to give it any more thought. I was waiting for the results with bated breath (well, I did breathe just enough air to keep me alive) and when I finally got the news, I sort of cut loose. I quit my well-paying job, settled my lease, booked my tickets back to India, popped open a bottle of Chopin and what not. And now, I am here in India.
The weight of my decisions has yet to reach my brain, and I still can't believe it's happening. I've been hearing conflicting opinions from people - half of them are ecstatic about my achievement, and half of them are concerned about my future, unsure how the market will turn out to be when I graduate.
The objective of spending a year at ISB should not be the "post-MBA salary". That's probably the narrowest of perspectives you could talk yourself into. From the interactions I've had over email, I seem to have hit a group with a wavelength that matches mine, and I look forward to make many friends. The infrastructure and faculty at ISB is the best money can buy, and more. I am fine as long as I make good use of what ISB has to offer, and sooner than later, I'll get where I always wanted to be.
But the money involved does make it tough for us to step back and take the broader perspective. I guess some of us will always carry our apprehensions within us until we find ourselves on terra firma after completing the course.
For now, I'm all set to take off into outer-space. I hope I come back home with a smile on my face, and a little more than a couple of moon-rocks.

No comments: