Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A big "Thank you" to Pandit Ravi Shankar

Pt. Ravi Shankar was here in Hyderabad on January 11 for a concert after 20 long years. Me and my dad have been fortunate enough to be there. I cannot write a review of the concert as I did for several other concerts in my blog. I can't even find words to describe my experience. Over the past few days I have been writing blog entries to describe my experience, but I just don't seem to like anything I wrote.

So, I finally decided to just record the moment as an instance where I was blessed. The concert was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and truly extra-ordinary. Pt.Ravi Shankar is 89 years old and when he plays his Sitar, you are transformed to a new world. His physical aging body doesn't make an iota of a difference. His Sitar is as sonorous as it ever sounded.

His daughter Anoushka Shankar is a promising heir to his kingdom. I am sure she is capable of taking her father's Sitar tradition forward for the next generation.

I thank Pundit Ravi Shankar for coming down to Hyderabad to bless us and I extend thanks to APTDC and HICC for ensuring that the concert was organized well.

No comments: